Friday, October 12, 2012

The chopping of nails

I am blessed, I guess you could say, with the natural ability to grow my nails rather long and rather quickly. While this is useful for many things, not the least making my short fingers look a little better, it can get annoying quickly. Today I ran into one of those things.

We went to the mall today after my 3 hour glucose test, which I hope I pass, we met up with my parents for lunch before we had to head home. My mom and I chased Davy around, which was rather fun at times. However during his escapades I reached for him and caught a nail on his clothes right as he was running away. Needless to say my nail snagged and broke, to the point that it ripped into my cuticle a bit and caused me to bleed. Yes it hurt. And it brought to my attention the fact that my nails needed to be chopped again. Usually I wait until they are uncomfortable when typing and then I chop them, but nails getting caught and broken tends to lead to chopping as well.

So tonight I got some nail clippers and my file and cut my nails short again. Then after cutting them all I decided that I should make a night of it and chop Davy's nails too. Anyone who has ever had a small child in their house knows just how fast children's nails grow. Well his nails were getting to the point that they were almost talon like, and he was beginning to scratch things, like me. So I chased him down with his own nail clippers and chopped his nails too. Nail chopping with Davy is much like nail chopping with Ronan, a wrestling match with a being that does not want their nails cut. Although Davy is much smaller, weaker and does less damage to me than Ronan does when cutting nails. After all his nails were cut, Davy did his usual after nail cutting ritual, he took the nail clippers from me and played with them for awhile. One would think that if he hated his nails being cut so much that he would want nothing to do with the clippers, but no, he loves playing with them. Which I don't blame him for, I remember playing with nail clippers as a child on a regular basis. What I find to be amusing about the whole thing, was that after he had the nail clippers he then pretended to clip his toe nails with it. Another nail trimming he hates.

When I brought out the nail file he was a bit more interested. At first he wasn't sure what I wanted to do with his fingers again, but once I showed him how the file worked he thought it was great! He played with it a good bit, but also let Mommy use it every so often so that I was able to finish my nails too. Fun stuff!

2 comments:

  1. Oh man! The fingernails!!! Olivia's are talons... all. the. time. Even right after I trim them, she seems to scratch me. It seriously looks like we own a rabid cat sometimes.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. And baby nails grow even faster than toddler nails. I remember seeing a thing on weapons and baby nails were rated (jokingly) as one of the sharpest weapons out there.

      Delete