Wednesday, February 10, 2010

Artificial Insemination or IVF?

Today we met with the doctor to discuss where we go from here. She initially started talking about artificial insemination and using six vials to do so. We have 12 vials so this would use half of them on three attempts. Kevin got concerned at this point and so we talked about other options. We discussed IVF (In Vetro Fertilization) and what our options were with that. We went round and round with it and then settled on a decision. We are going to start me on Clomid which will increase my fertility, we will do one attempt at Artificial Insemination and then if that does not work we will start me on the process for IVF in May. I guess the clinic does IVF in groups of women and so they do it during different months so the earliest she could get me into was March, but she didn’t feel comfortable in rushing it so instead we are going to try for May.

This effectively gives us a plan A and a plan B. If I get pregnant from the Artificial Insemination then we will not do the IVF in May, if I don’t get pregnant then we will. I am thinking that if we do get pregnant through AI then maybe after we have the baby I will go through the process of harvesting the eggs next year just so that we have them saved for future children attempts. That way we have the eggs from when I am still young and fertile.

Hopefully by next year I not be working and the harvesting process will not be as much of an interference in my life as it is now. We shall see.

If plan A works then we could be pregnant late February to early March, if plan B works then we could be pregnant late May early June. Hopefully the sooner the better, but we will see how it goes.

No comments:

Post a Comment