Saturday, December 29, 2012

Sick

There is something terrifying about the idea of your child being sick. Maybe it is just post pregnancy hormones, who knows but yesterday was not an easy day for me. It started out in the morning, Davy was playing with some toys and so I went into the kitchen to get some food together for his breakfast. Kevin was sleeping on the couch so I figured that everything would be ok. I came back and thought that Davy looked like he might have something in his mouth so I did a finger swipe through his mouth to check. I thought I felt something but he swallowed it before I could get it, if I did feel anything at all. Shortly thereafter he started acting really tired (which was uncommon for the time of day) and we put him down for his nap. After he woke up from his nap I noticed that he was feeling kind of hot so I took his temperature and discovered that he had a fever. I ended up calling up the doctor and they had me come in right away for an x-ray for the possibility of a swallowed object. After a horrific time at the doctors where he got an x-ray, and had a flu test done to see if he had the flu we found that there was nothing to be seen on the x-ray and he did not have the flu. However the doctor did advise us to keep him away from Evangeline until he was 24 hours without a fever. So my mom took him home with her.

Needless to say yesterday was a very stressful, tear filled day for me. I was worried about my little boy, that he might have swallowed something that could hurt him, that he might have the flu, and worried about my little girl that she might have caught whatever it was that Davy had and would end up with a fever and in the hospital on IVs. Today I have had a few scares with Evangeline because our temporal thermometer (which you use on her forehead) has given me a few high measurements. However when I have double checked with an anal thermometer I have gotten regular readings. I just hate checking her temp anally, but it is the most accurate way and I don't want to take her into the ER without being sure that her temperature is high risk. All in all it has been stressful on me.

No comments:

Post a Comment