Wednesday, November 3, 2010

Bag of flour, ready to burst

So next week (starting Saturday) my baby will be the size of a bag of flour or the size of a chinese cabbage (?). This week he is the size of a small pot roast or a head of cauliflower. Huh, again with the food comparisons. Next week I start the third trimester. Holy cow, already?? It seems like everything is moving so fast. Little Davy (as Kevin calls him) is still kicking a lot. It seems like when I lay down to go to bed at night is when he decides that he needs to start his dance areobics! At least I can still pretty much ignore them and sleep.

Yesterday I went to Michaels and while in the check out had my first slightly awkward pregnancy conversation (and when I say slightly awkward I mean slightly awkward about me).
Cashier: When are you due?
Me: January 28th
Cashier: Wow, so far away? You're so big already, are you having twins?
Me: Nope.
Cashier: Are you sure?
Me: Yep they checked before I was even 10 weeks along.
Cashier: Well maybe you are just having a big baby. Were you a big baby?
Me: Not really.
Cashier: Was your husband?
Me: I don't really know.
Cashier: Well maybe you will be one of those lucky women who have a 10 lb baby.
Me: I sure hope not. (Thinking, "I haven't gained more than 3 lbs this entire pregnancy, I pretty much doubt I am having a 10 lb baby.")
Cashier: Well you have a good day.
Me: You too.

I had read about these kind of conversations, the ones where people are just plain rude about how big you are. But up till yesterday I hadn't had any yet. I didn't really want to say, "Well I started out big so I probably look bigger than I really am." No need to puncture my self confidence a little more just to explain things to her. As it is I am excited still about the baby coming, just a bit nervous (ok more than a bit) about everything that has to happen before he comes.

Yesterday I spent looking at cribs and breast pumps. I forwarded Kevin what I found. There are some good deals out there on cribs. Mostly on Amazon. Maybe I should check out E-bay as well. Tired, so tired all the time. I could use a nap. Oh well...

2 comments:

  1. How would it be lucky to have a 10 lb baby?! That cashier is a ho-bag.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think she was being sarcastic, but even still I agree with you. She was just being rude even if she was too stupid to see it. When is it ever polite to tell a woman how huge she is??

    ReplyDelete