Monday, April 2, 2012

April IVF

Haven't really updated since shortly after the whole failure. So here goes. We went back into the Fertility doctor in late March to discuss where we wanted to go from there. Before we did so though I really prayed about it. I didn't want us to try again when it wasn't the right time and waste our last attempt. After a lot of prayer I got a feeling that we should really try in April. It was kind of scary because if this next attempt fails then we are basically out of IVF options. It will be the last attempt that insurance will pay for and with our income we would not be able to afford it out of pocket.

When we met with the doctor he went over what probably happened the last time that caused it to fail, he said that it is not very often that it happens the way it did. Basically when we got 13 eggs we should have gotten more than 3 embryos out of it. And the embryos should have developed more than what they did. So this time he wants to see how many eggs we can get so he will be upping my dose of Follistim. The goal is to get as many eggs as possible and then to get as many of those eggs to embryo status so that we can freeze them for later use. We told him that we wanted to try again in April and he said that sounded good. 

I was expecting that I would get my period in late March and then get the period we would use in late April. But my March period waited and waited until it was two days before April. So when it showed up I called in and got the process started. My first appointment was today, I went in for blood work and an internal ultrasound. Every time I have had an ultrasound in the past at the doctor's he has been in surgery and has not been available to talk to me so I would get a call later with instructions on what to do. This time he was there. So he decided to up my Follistim dose to 300 units, which is really quite high. I have never been on that high of a dose before. I do remember being on a higher dose with my first attempt, but when I looked at my previous posts about my first IVF attempt I found that instead of a 100 unit dose it was 150 and then went down from there. I am really hoping I don't over stimulate, which could lead to my ovaries getting over stimulated and bad things happening, it could result in death even. Kind of scary. 

I start my injections on Wednesday and hopefully everything goes well. Here is my meds schedule: 4/2/12 Estradiol (estrogen) two pills daily (one in the morning and one at night) for today and tomorrow 4/3/12, Wednesday 4/4/12 start 300 units of Follistim, continue with the Follistim with 300 units injected everyday until Sunday 4/8/12 when I continue with 300 units of Follistim and also begin to take Ganirelix, which is premixed, and begin the Estradiol again, that continues until Tuesday of next week 4/10/12 when I go in for my next ultrasound. 

No comments:

Post a Comment