Monday, August 16, 2010

Name Changes and Registries

This weekend I ended up driving out to my parent's to celebrate my birthday, which went well, but that is a topic for another post. What I want to focus on for this post is baby registries and a name change in our list of names.

On Saturday evening my mom and I went to Rockford to do some registry building for any baby shower I may have. We first hit up Babies R Us, which is a neat store to do a registry in. The sign up is nice and they give you a gift bag at the end of it all. Together my mom and I went around the store and scanned things that I figured I would probably need. Finally after awhile there we called it good and headed over to Walmart to start another registry. When we got there I discovered that their scanner was not working and that I would have to do my registry somewhere else, either at another store or online.

Sometime this week I think I may stop by Target and one of the Walmarts around here and do some further registry scanning. I think I am going with a baby safari theme for the nursery, it is gender neutral and it is cute. So we will have little giraffes, lions, tigers, and other baby African animals. Babies R Us had a whole bunch of safari themed items there. Maybe I am thinking too far ahead on the whole thing, but I like to be prepared ahead of time.

On to the name change. When it came down to girls names Kevin and I had quite the argument over the last few years. Finally we agreed recently on the name Evalisa, however it was a name that I sort of created and though I liked it I was a bit worried about possible nicknames. Not long after creating it I began to think about alternatives. Along with this was the fact that because we created the name we really didn't have a meaning associated with it. Which was something we have put great importance on.

This weekend we all watched the movie Nanny McPhee. Which is a way cute movie that has a Mary Poppins type feel to it. In the movie there is a character who is named Evangeline.

I really liked the name Evangeline when I heard it in the movie and it had what I wanted in it. Eva as part of the name, because I want to incorporate my great grandmother's name as part of our baby's name and it is a real name so it has a meaning attached to it. So I brought it up to Kevin, at that time I didn't know what it meant so I told him I would look it up. Otherwise he liked the name, but thought my reasons for wanting to change were kind of silly.

So when we got home I looked up Evangeline to find out the meaning. Turns out the name is Greek in its origin and it means "like an angel" which is truthfully perfect. When I told Kevin he loved it and said it was perfect. So I think our name choice for our first daughter has changed from Evalisa to Evangeline. I like the change, I like the meaning of this new name, perfect for our little baby if it is a girl like an angel come down from heaven.

1 comment:

  1. I love the name Evangeline! My niece's name is Eva and I've always loved it. Plus, Evangeline is the name of a star/firefly in Disney's Princess and the Frog, and it's just adorable. I love it!
    And congratulations again!

    ReplyDelete