Friday, January 21, 2011

The epidural, it does nothing!!

The last few days have been rather wild. Wednesday was nice. We ran some errands, ate out for the last time without a baby, and then went over to the hospital to check me in for delivery. That night they started my antibiotics for the Strep B and put in the suppository that would thin out my cervix. I slept in the hospital be and Kevin slept in the chair they had for visitors. It was a rough night sleeping for both of us. In the morning I discovered that my suppository had come out on its own. Around seven or eight am they started me on Pitocin which starts the inducement. I started having serious hip pain and got the epidural started at 11:30 am. Around 1:30 pm or so my doctor showed up and broke my water for me. The contractions started and at first I couldn't feel them. Then it seemed that the epidural started to wear off. I began to feel a little pain at first, and then I began to feel the contractions a little and then a little more. Soon I was feeling the full contraction, as if I didn't even have a pain killer in me at all. It hurt, a lot. Kevin was there for me from the beginning, he held my hand and stroked my hair and told me I was beautiful. He was awesome. The anesthesiologist came back and gave me three more doses, which worked for a bit and then faded again. Around 5 pm or so my doctor showed up again and the real fun started. I was feeling the full contractions, except they weren't natural contractions they were pitocin induced contractions. They were so painful. Eventually they got to a point where I felt like I was needing to push. Kevin and my mom helped me by holding my hands and lifting me into position when I needed to push. The nurses seemed surprised at how much I pushed, they called me a "super pusher", I just wanted it all to be over. I got to a point where I kept saying, "I just want him out of me" or, "Can you just grab his head and pull him out?" I really just wanted it all over. I was so tired that I could hardly keep my eyes open during it all. After a lot of pushing David finally came out, it was such a relief. My doctor had to cut me during delivery so that I wouldn't tear, so after everything was done she also had to stitch me up, which I also felt even with the pain killer that the doctor gave me.

While the doctor stitched me up Kevin and my parents took pictures and held David. Eventually all the stitching was done and they allowed me some time with David before they took him for his bath. While he was gone they took me to my post natal room. I got a little bit of sleep last night, and a little bit of sleep today. Looking forward to getting a little bit more if I ever get the chance. Either way Davy is here and we are happy to have him. You can see a link to his birth announcement below.
http://community.babycenter.com/announcements/6f24e0dfe18054a878acaa9a4551930d

No comments:

Post a Comment