Thursday, November 1, 2012

Hormones and Food

This week I have been craving tortilla chips and cheese dip, but we currently can't afford to get some until payday, which is Friday (tomorrow). So imagine my happiness when I discovered that chips and cheese dip were part of the party my parents threw for the grandkids yesterday. After everything was over my mom and dad tried to pawn off a lot of the food on both my sister and I. Kevin and I were the last ones to leave so whatever was left was basically given to us. As we were gathering up stuff, I said, "Hey, if you don't want it we will take the chips and cheese dip as well." I kind of felt guilty for asking for it, but they gave it to me so I ended up taking it home too. This morning close to 11 am I started getting hungry and remembered the cheese dip that was in the fridge. So I heated some up and started eating it with the tortilla chips. After not long of eating the chips and dip Kevin came by and started eyeing the chips and dip in a way that I knew he was going to ask for some.

But the problem was, I didn't want to share. I had been craving this all week long and had an awesome windfall before payday even came around, and there wasn't much of the cheese dip anyway. But I knew that claiming it all would be rude, so I told him he could have the rest if he wanted it. Well then as he went to get it he found some other cheese dip that we had in the fridge that I did not want to eat because I did not like the flavor of it. So he decides that he is going to mix the two and eat it.

Thinking back on it all the rational thing for me to have done would have been to ask nicely if he would let me have the cheese dip I had gotten from my parents and he could have all of the other cheese dip (which I knew he preferred). Instead I went into attack mode. And we got into an argument over it all. In the end he demanded that I ask nicely for the cheese dip I wanted, and I stubbornly refused to. Finally I calmed down enough to apologize for attacking him and he gave me the cheese dip, which helped me to calm down the rest of the way. After everything was done and finished and I was calm and happy again I said to him, "You know, arguing with a pregnant woman over her food is like wrestling with a tiger for a steak, it is about the same level on the danger scale." He thought about this for a little bit and then said, "Yes, but a pregnant woman is not going to kill you like a tiger would." "She might in your sleep." I said back. "No, I know how weak you are right now, you wouldn't be able to kill me." "Ok, true." I said, "But she can make your life miserable, which is almost as bad." "Yes, that is true." He said, "Which is why so many men are made miserable by their wives."

Thankfully Kevin is a great guy and awesome husband, and knows when it is best to just give me the food and save himself the suffering.

No comments:

Post a Comment