Friday, July 2, 2010

Maternity products

So today I decided to visit the website of a pregnancy magazine I saw at the fertility clinic. The magazine is Fit Pregnancy (for anyone interested). While there I signed up for a few sweepstakes (everyone can afford to win free stuff, especially expensive strollers and such) and checked out their "finds and favorites" page, which is a list of different types of products. Looking through the page I see baby dopplers (for hearing your baby's heartbeat in the womb), tummy wraps for after delivery, maternity clothes, baby carriers, diaper bags, gender prediction tests, and then I come across two products that boggle my mind.

Now these boggle not because of what they are but rather because of their names. The first is "Mother Tucker", the description is as follows: "Mother Tucker is the ultimate compression tank top. Don't nip it or suck it, just Mother Tuck-it!" Yeeeaaahhh. Ok, was I not the only one who saw through their little sound alike name? Yeah, don't think I will be using that, don't want to say to someone, "I'm using a Mother Tucker!" and have them mishear me.

The second is a shop for breastfeeding. Sounds ok so far right? The name of the shop is, "Yummy Mummy". Thats right Mummy is yummy... ok, so very wrong. I get what they are trying to get at with their name, but still, it is just not quite right.

Sometimes I wonder about what message some of these companies are trying to get across to their customers.

No comments:

Post a Comment