Wednesday, May 26, 2010

Shots

So on Thursday (tomorrow) I have another appointment with the Fertility Clinic, they will be testing my progesterone levels. Hopefully they are good enough that I can stop the shots. But if they are not I think I am going to ask if I can start suppositories. On Monday night I tried something different with the ice pack, I sat on it. Usually I just lie there on my stomach and let it sit on me. I tried it because Kevin thought it might get my butt colder because the last few shots I have felt more than usual.

Well sitting on it did get things colder, but I now wonder if it was too much colder. When we took the ice pack off Kevin was worried by how the skin felt. I didn't feel any of the shot, but I now have a huge welt there where the ice pack was, and the entire area hurts like I got a bunch of shots all over that area.

So last night we did 7 minutes instead of 10 and that worked better. I felt the shot a little bit, but not enough for it to really matter.

Another interesting thing. After the IV attempts from the surgery I anticipated the blood test to hurt as the needle went in. Having the last thing that went in there be the IV I must say that the blood test was almost nice.

Am I getting used to shots? Probably, I don't know quite what to think of it all. Especially considering that I have always had a slight fear of needles. Today I read over the post when I gave myself my first shot for the Artificial Insemination attempt. I was so nervous and scared at the time. And now looking back all I can think is, "Heh, that shot was easy peasy! Nothing to get worked up over. The other subcutaneous shots I gave myself were pretty much the same as that shot. And they weren't that bad really."

If they do give me the go ahead to use progesterone suppositories though I will take them up on it. As much as it might seem that I like waking up out of deep sleep at 2 am so that I can get my butt iced and then a 1 1/2 inch needle stabbed into my butt, I really don't. Besides my butt is beginning to feel numb and I am beginning to wonder if all the icing is causing nerve damage.

2 comments:

  1. Rachel, This is Sara, Russ's wife. I am so supper happy for you guys! I pray that everything will go well. I can totaly understand the frustration and concerns. We are going on 4 years so far with no children. It is so wonderful and inspiring to me to read about you and Kevin.

    I remember meeting you guys for the first time as Russ was leaving boot camp. At the time I couldn't quite understnd since we had only been married for a year and a half. But now, I feel many of the same things. Kevin said it all so well! Not a child, but no one seems to see you as an adult. This year all of my brothers and my sister that are married are all having kids. There is a certain place in the heart that cries when the same blessing is being so illusive. You are all in our prays! Congradulations and may your future be blessed! I will be keeping up on this blog for sure!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sara, thanks for commenting. It is hard when you have been married for awhile and you still do not have children. I hope things work out for you and Russ, we know what it is like. Feel free to give us a call anytime you would like to talk.

    ReplyDelete