Thursday, September 9, 2010

Boobies

Warning, this post is about breasts, so if you would rather not read about them, do not proceed further.
So as the title and the warning says this post is about boobies. Or rather, mine. When I got pregnant a few things became obvious to me pretty quickly: 1. My breasts were growing larger. 2. My breasts hurt all the time. 3. I was nipping out all the time. This meant that I needed to take corrective action. I read somewhere that thicker padded bras can sometimes help when it comes to sore breasts early on in pregnancy, and that wearing your bra to bed can help with breast pain. So I went bra shopping.


Bra shopping has always been a strange and often disappointing/highly ironic experience. To explain this I must consider my family. I come from a family of slender women. If you look at my mom she is cute and skinny, look at my sister, again cute and skinny. Then look at me...cute and curvaceous. At least that is the least depreciating way of saying it. Basically I got curves. I have always been bigger in the chest, bigger in the hips and bigger in the legs than my mom and sister. And though curves are nice at times I often find myself wishing that I was slender like my mom and sister. The problem comes down to size. I remember at some point in my life being an A, I think I was a preteen, during those early years of just getting breasts.

It didn’t take long though till I graduated to being a B. And there I stayed for all of my teen years. I didn’t want to be a B, but it wasn’t a C, and I kept telling myself that. When I got married I found myself gaining weight, eventually I discovered that lo and behold I was a C. I mourned the fact but pressed on. My husband had no problem with my bust size so I figured I didn’t really need to worry.

Then during the last few years it happened, I went from being a C (for quite a long time) to being a D, something I figured I would never see happen, something I hoped I would never see happen.

So I went shopping for my large D padded bra. In general I don’t wear bras with much padding, I figure I don’t much need it. But now that I was pregnant I needed something to cover everything up. And I needed something to keep me from hurting at night. I found two bras that worked and bought them and took them home. One of them became lost and I found myself resigned to one bra that I had to wear day and night. Four months I have worn that bra, and have found it growing more and more uncomfortable, until finally last night Kevin announced that we needed to buy me a new bra.

Kevin always reminds me to get new underclothes; I think if it weren’t for him I would find myself wearing under things that needed replacement years ago. He is good for me.

So, knowing that I had probably grown again I went to Victoria Secrets because I knew they gave free bra fittings. A nice larger girl (I am so glad she was larger, so many times you go into VS and find yourself being helped by a cute skinny girl who makes you feel guilty for being larger just by looking at her) measured me and announced my new bra size. 38 DD, double D, those words echoed through my head. Double D, really? But I went into the fitting room and tried on one of their DD bras and sure enough, it fit like a dream. I remember laughing in a bitter accepting way. Then Kevin and I went to Wal-Mart where we found some nice bras for a quarter of the price the Victoria Secret bras would have run me.

I must mention the awesomeness of Kevin in all of this. He allowed me to drag him to the bra section in Wal-Mart, he helped me find my enormous DD bras among all the racks of tiny cute bras. And he held my purse while I tried them on. He held my purse! Anyone who knows Kevin like I do knows that holding my purse for me is really something for him. What a trooper!

I remember when I was in college having roommates who were busty and one of them complaining that larger breasted women never have cute bras, they are always so heavy duty with the three hook closure and the huge shoulder straps. I now know what she means. The larger bras really are not cute. But let me tell you, having the right sized bra on feels great! It is so nice to not feel so squished all the time.

Now for those of you reading this please understand, I am not saying that to be a larger busted woman is a bad thing. It is just not something I even really wanted to be. But it does give me ammo when I have slender girls approach me and say, “Wow, I wish I had boobs as big as yours.” I can always say back, “Tell you what, I will trade you my boobs for your skinniness.”

Ironically, my breasts don’t feel or really look that big, at least to me. But then again I have grown up with them. And they seem to just adjust with my body. Ah well, I suppose we will see where they end up after nursing.

No comments:

Post a Comment